Tuesday, September 15, 2009

GastroAdvent #1: My pesto experience

Last week, I told my mom that I already know how to make pesto, although she seems pleased, she reminded me that knowledge is different from wisdom. Yesterday, I finally decided to try making my own homemade pesto and officially turning my knowledge into wisdom. After searching the net for the how to's and ingredients, just to confirm if the recipe that I have in mind is accurate, I headed to Robinson's Supermarket, crossed my fingers hoping to find the needed ingredients:

Ingredients:
   Fresh Basil leaves (cost about 12 pesos per pack or 300/KG)
   Pine Peanuts (I skipped this one, dunno if this is available in our local market but will check soon!)
   Olive oil (My mom got this as a gift sometime ago so no need for me to buy)
   Malunggay Bread (30 pesos/pack. Either pasta or any bread will do)
   Eden Cheese (32 pesos/block. Parmesan is better but much more expensive)
   Garlic (about 1 clove, depends on how spicy you want it to be)
   Tomato slice (I wanted to make tomato and cheese pesto)
  
How I did it:
Since I didn't have a food processor which would have made my life easier, I minced the basil leaves, garlic and the tomato. Then poured some 1-1 1/2 tbps of olive oil and mixed the ingredients. Chilled my pesto. After, I sliced 2 malunggay bread (burger style slice.. ehhe) spread the pesto, then add slice of cheese. Toast the pesto bread for about 4-5 minutes and then serve! :)

Note: Never taste the pesto as it is.. I didn't like the taste initially.. I guess the strong flavor of the basil should be blended with either pasta or bread with lots of cheese!!!!! Will post pictures later.

No comments:

Post a Comment