Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Camping at Taytay Falls

July 4,2009 - Since it was my friend Emz' birthday, Lian decided to celebrate it in Taytay Falls (a.k.a. Majayjay Falls) in Laguna. Our plan is to stay there overnight, rent a tent and experience nature. It was my first time to go on camping so I was really really excited. Days before the camp, we had meeting via YM. We distributed the things we have to bring, talked about our travel plan and talk some more.
The night before our departure day, we planned to stay at Emz but due to a series of unfortunate events, we decided to meet at the terminal instead.

(My version of Head Shot: Taken on the bus on our way to Majayjay)

The Trip
The next day, everybody showed up early (yey!) and we were able to leave for Laguna at 6am. From Buendia, we rode a bus going to Sta. Cruz Laguna and paid 148.50 each. Since we all had a long night (and yes I was part of the blame) we slept almost the whole trip.


(Attendance: Clyde, Alvin, Emz, Lian, PRESENT! Me, behind the camera)
Upon reaching Sta. Cruz, I realized I forgot to bring charcoal. Luckily one of the stores located in front of the terminal sells some so I bought 5 bags and sheepishly joined the group. :p A tricycle driver offered to bring us to the terminal for 100 pesos since almost all the jeepney that leaves the terminal are already full. Since we had no choice, we agreed and arrived at Majayjay in Sta. Cruz market. Emz and Lian bought 2 tilapia to be grilled since Emz forgot to bring the adobong chicken feet.. (Awwwww...).


The ride from Sta. Cruz to Majayjay town proper cost us 33 pesos, so I know its distance from where we rode the jeep is quite far. Again, I slept while waiting to get off the cramped jeepney.

 
Waiting for us in Majayjay is another 15 peso jeepney ride to the falls. And again, I dozed off to fast forward to our final destination.


 The Arrival

We had to pay 30 pesos each for the environmental fee. Then requested the locals if we could rent a tent that the three of us (alvin, me and clyde) could share since Emz and Lian bought their own tent. As we finally spotted a suitable camping site, the tent builders came and assembled our tent. As soon as our stuff are settled, we started grilling the tilapia. They soon realized that I was not able to bring enough charcoal so Clyde and I hiked back to civilization to purchase some supplies. Clyde insisted on buying firewood which was handy indeed. We also bought rice, salted egg and some tomatoes and additional charcoal. As we travel back to our camp site, heavy rains poured halting us into one of those man made shelters where we waited for the rain to stop. Eventually it did stop, but not after several minutes (I was tempted to doze off again..)

Time to Eat and be Merry


(Grilled liempo c/o Emz and Lian)

As suspected, our co-campers were not successful in cooking the rice (thanks to the rainy forest). Thanks to Clyde for convincing me to buy some rice, we were able to eat a full meal. We had realized we were so hungry as we eat the fish, salted egg with tomatoes and 7 servings of rice. The rain has stopped after we have eaten our lunch at around 2pm (I think..). We continued cooking the rice, this time using the firewood. Surprisingly, the rice was well cooked, no rice was burnt and it was very tasty! We continued cooking/grilling the BBQ brought by Alvin and liempo from Emz and Lian. While the girls were busy cooking, the boys (Alvin and Clyde) went back to the upper grounds to get some more firewood for the night's bonfire and another 5 litter stock of water. We rested for a while before we tasted the chilling water of Taytay Falls.
Nightfall
As night approaches the rainforest, we started to build our camp fire. Emz bought a pack of mallows and BBQ sticks. She instructed us how to "cook" the mallows. The roasted outer layer and the soft melted outer cover enticed our tastebuds. I must have eaten quite a lot, enough to ruin my diet.

The long night began to crawl away as we began sharing stories and updates. Unfortunately, I had to hit the bunker early, and so I have no more stories to share..


The Next Day...


We woke up as late as possible. :) After we prepared our breakfast and drank our morning coffee, we decided to take a dip once more, this time in the falls itself. None of us dared to stay submerged on the falls' icy water. All we did was to scream was "Ang Lamig!!!", the dive, swim a little and then scream again until finally were too tired to further struggle to stay in the water. Since we planned to leave at around 2pm, we headed back to our camp site to prepare our lunch, pack up our things and say goodbye to Majayjay
(Noodles for Breakfast)
It was one trip where I had my many first experiences. This camping trip paved the way for my new found hobby.. Outdoor camping! I've already discussed some of my plans to Clyde who is ever supportive in his own ways , so expect more outdoor camping stories from this blog.
 Till then.. Ciao!









Before I forget: Here's the summary of my expense (one way):
148.50 - Bus to Sta. Cruz, Laguna (as of July 2009)
  20.00  -  Tricycle from drop off point to Majayjay Jeep Terminal
  33.00 - Jeep to Majayjay
  15.00 - Jeep to Taytay
  30.00 - Environmental Fee for overnight stay
150.00 - Tent rental
--------------------
396.50 ++
Side Stories:
The jeepney terminal in Sta. Cruz Laguna going to Majayjay is called MAJODA [eheheee], I think it was kinda funny cause it sounds like majonda which, if I'm correct is "matanda" or old people in Filipino gay lingo.

1 comment:

  1. axel... day hike lang toh dba? gusto ko ditooo... pleaasseee =p

    ReplyDelete